|The town of Carlton, located
in Washington State, along the Methow River was established in 1907. Carlton
Washington sits at an elevation of 1,440 feet in the Methow Valley, a few
miles South of the town of Twisp. In 1903, William J. Fleming made arrangements
to move a two story store, two houses, and a hotel to the mouth of Texas
Creek. As Carlton was being established, the Carl Dillards purchased (Locust
Lodge) from the Sumpter family. In 1907, a group of ladies who were visiting
in the Dillard home, discussed a name for the new town. Among the guest
were Mrs. Joseph Liebl and her mother Mrs. McConnell. Out of respect to
their host, Mrs. McConnell suggested it be named (Carl’s Town.) After some
debating, the Women decided on the name "Carlton."
Most people traveled to Carlton by
way of steamboat up the Columbia River to Ives Landing between 1896 to
1900, at that time the central ferry's landing was changed to Pateros.
Others came by train, horseback, stagecoach, or by their own horses and
wagons into the Methow Valley area. Platted on August 23, 1907, Carlton's
location was specified as, (SW/NE Sec. 29, T32N, R22E.) Located directly
across the road from the original Carlton Hotel that still standing there
By 1927 it was decided where new
highway No. 12 would be built and where a new bridge would cross the Methow
River. Since the highway would be a quarter of a mile from the original
town of Carlton, they decided to move the buildings closer, so the new
highway would go right pass their front doors.
The first school to be built in Carlton
Washington was completed in 1907. A new school was built in the early 1920s
and still stands today and is used as a private residence. Locust shade
trees were originally planted in Carlton, many of which or still standing
on the property today. Locust Lodge was named for these trees.